FOUNDER – HOLISTIC PERSONAL TRAINER, MINDFULNESS AND TRAUMA COACH
We are all healing from some past hurt or loss, but it doesn’t mean we are broken. Our past struggles, traumas or health issues don’t have to be a life sentence. I believe we have the power to free ourselves from the shackles that limit our joy and fulfillment. While it is widely accepted that mindfulness is necessary to shape the body, I assert that the body is one of the most powerful alchemic tools for shaping the mind.
As a practitioner in the health industry for two decades, my approach is to combine holistic personal training and numerous movement modalities along with an understanding on the impact chronic and traumatic stress has on our physiology and our fascia to help my clients gain strength, mobility and energy. Through personal and professional exploration, I know that you can cultivate a deeply felt sense of resilience and agency to realize freedom in your life.
As the founder of Urbanfitt, I have helped more than 1000 clients improve emotional and nervous system regulation, positively shift neuroplasticity and release somatized stress and trauma. Through my revolutionary coaching sessions and workshops, I will ensure that you not only feel better, but truly realize your full potential for contentment and happiness. I am an experienced and illuminating speaker, widely consulted media expert and internationally recognized author. I am available for personal, group and corporate training as well as speaking engagements worldwide.
Personal health is a political matter, extending beyond our own flesh and bones and into the way we build community, engage in culture and express our highest self in relationship to others. Individuals can learn to advocate for their own health and wellbeing, first, amid conflicting private responsibilities and paternalistic, overstressed health care systems. In my practice, I choose integrity, congruency and wholeheartedness over profit.
I offer mindful movement and tension release workshops at the Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture. As a member of the Breathe Network, an organization connecting sexual violence survivors with trauma informed healing arts practitioners, I am committed to bringing the most recent research based healing interventions to those who need it most.
I have had the privilege to sit on the committees for both “Enabling Minds” (Canadian Mental Health Association), as well as with the BC Heart and Stroke Foundation. I volunteered my time at Fife House, an organization that provides secure and affordable housing and support to those living with HIV. I also offer complimentary classes for women during and after breast cancer treatment and have provided numerous wellbeing empowerment workshops for marginalized women in Toronto.
- Currently completing Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Level One – Boston, MA
- Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture certificate program: Torture, Trauma, Psychosocial Impact and Mental Health: Meeting the Needs of War and Torture Survivors
- How to Target Treatment to Help Patients Reclaim their Lives after Trauma: Dr. Bessel Van Der Kolk and Ruth M. Buczynski – National Institute of the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine
- 200 hr Yoga Teacher Training – Diane Bruni
- 120 hr Tensegrity Touch Therapy and Movement – Diane Bruni
- ELDOA Level 1 – Petra Baethman
- Completed 8 week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program
- Buteyko Breathing Method (personal lessons)
- Reiki Level 1, 2 and 3 foundation – Dany Lyne, Unleash Your Potential
- Reiki level 3 master level – Selina Khan
- Fascial Stretch Therapy Level I – Stretch to Win Institute
- Intro to Craniosacral Therapy – Robert Harris
- Ryerson Professional Personal Training Program
- Ontario Psychotherapy and Counseling Program – 6 months of study
- CPTN Personal Trainer
- BCRPA group fitness
- ACE Lifestyle Weight Management Coach
- Can Fit Pro pre post natal fitness specialist
- Charles Poloquin Lower Body Extremity Structural Balance course
- Bachelor of Commerce from the University of British Columbia
- 200 hour Conflict Resolution Program – Justice Institute of British Columbia
Areas of specialization:
- Pre-surgical resiliency programs
- Post-masectomy/lumpectomy recovery
- Recovery from abdominal surgery including C-sections
- Engaging in fertility treatment, high risk pregnancy and wellness
- Dealing with spinal degenerative conditions
- Living with auto-immune disease
- Managing progressive neurological conditions
- Managing mental health conditions including anxiety, PTSD and/or depression and with a history of childhood abuse or neglect
- Dealing with fibromyalgia, hypermobility or chronic fatigue syndrome
- Post rehab functional movement optimization